How to get back in shape post pregnancy?
Pregnancy is the golden period of every woman’s life. This is the time when the woman walks on rose petals. She is fully cared for, loved, pampered, and admired. She is given the freedom to eat whatever she wants. The woman starts enjoying her phase of pregnancy without realizing the pounds she is piling on.
Every mother gains weight post-pregnancy. It is normal to gain weight during pregnancy and after it. It is the concern of every mother about how to lose all the weight and when to start exercising. A New mother is left with postnatal depression and unrecognizable shape of the body post-pregnancy. Sleep deprivation and weakness add to the misery.
Ideally, it is good to start exercising after 4-6 weeks of post-pregnancy. It is important to check with your doctor before starting any exercise to check if your uterus has healed after delivery. The weight may not fall as quickly as you want it to but if you stick to the regime, and then surely it will.
- Breastfeeding - Breastfeeding is a quick, natural, and safe way to reduce weight where one can shed 500-700 calories per day. It is one of the safest ways to shed calories. The bond created between mother and child during breastfeeding cannot be put in words.
- Ajwain Water / Herbal Green Tea – Put some carom seeds in water and put water to boil. Drink that lukewarm water or hot water whenever you feel like having water. This will cleanse your system and clear the unwanted fat. Herbal Green tea is rich in antioxidants which help to control mood swings.
- Eat healthily – Eat Right – it is important to take lean proteins, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, dairy products. Munch on healthy snacks. Avoid fried, spicy, oily, sugary, and junk food. Don’t fall into a fad diet. Focus on salads, cereals. Vegetarians can prefer a variety of lentils. Others can prefer to choose egg, chicken, and fish. Say no to refined flour. Drink plenty of fluids. Remember to have a minimum of 3 liters of water. It is necessary to take small meals at regular intervals. Skipping meals won’t solve the purpose. Do not skip breakfast.
- Get enough sleep – It is important to sleep properly and get enough rest. Sleep will give you the energy to keep yourself moving.
- Yoga / Walking – There are several yoga postures to reduce belly fat and overall weight. Aerobic exercise - swimming, running, biking can also bring in some good ‘ME’ time as well as get your posture in shape. It is good to walk at least 20 minutes in a day.
- Postpartum belt – After you deliver, it is nice to put on a postpartum belt to avoid a loose and saggy belly. This will help to shrink your belly.
- Clarified butter / Panjiri – It is a myth to take lots of desi ghee / clarified butter post-pregnancy. It should be taken in moderation.
Remember sooner you start, the easier it will be. The longer you wait, the tougher it becomes to lose weight. Don't be impatient and start dieting. Don't start any supplements while breastfeeding. Be patient, eat right, and stay active. Being healthy and fit is more important than being slim.